The Visual Language of Design
The first module is an introduction to the creative and exciting world of Interior Design.
You will be introduced to the elements and principles of design that are used to create harmonious and balanced interiors.
• Learn how to observe, evaluate and form opinions of different design styles by analyzing interior spaces.
• Develop your ‘designer’s eye’ and understand how to apply the knowledge and create inspirational designs for home and work environments.
How to Use Our Course
What is Interior Design?
Philosophy of Interior Design
The Visual Language of Design
Understanding Design Theory
The Elements and Principles of Interior Design
Elements of Design:
Principles of Design:
Rhythm and Repetition
Proportion and Scale
The History of Style, Decoration and Architecture
This comprehensive module takes you on a fascinating journey, beginning with the origins of decorative finishes seen in cave paintings and ancient dwellings and leads you through the history of design and architecture to the present day.
Full of visual images and information, Module 2 will convey the meanings and messages behind the styles and decorative images you encounter.
• Learn to recognize architectural and decorative details influenced by ancient Greek, Roman and Egyptian architecture, Neo-Classicism and more recent design styles.
• Incorporate these ideas into your designs, adding originality and creativity to your work.
• Gain an appreciation of art and design history and how it will continue to be an influence both in the present and the future.
The History of Style, Decoration and Architecture
Interior Design and Architecture Time Line
Ancient Egyptian 3000-900BCE
Ancient Greek 900BCE-100CE
Industrial Revolution 1760–1820
Neoclassical Styles (Georgian) 1720–1830
Victorian 1837– 1901
Arts and Crafts 1850-1914
Art Nouveau 1880-1910
Art Deco 1910-1950
De Stijl Movement 1917-1931
Bauhaus or International Style 1919-1933
In this module you will learn how to make strategic and conceptual decisions for your design projects based on the desired function, style and mood of the space.
• Develop your knowledge of different structures, common problems and their solutions so that you can communicate clearly with clients, suppliers and tradespeople.
• Evaluate a site and assess existing structures in order to create a master plan and implement your ideas.
• Build your confidence by establishing a framework for completing a project in a professional manner that will ensure a consistent and high quality result.
Speaking the Language Fluently
Types of Interior Design Styles:
Arts and Crafts
Considering the Site
Building an Aesthetic Plan
Now you will discover how to apply the design elements to your spatial planning and design concepts, considering different furniture layouts to suit the intended function of the space.
• Learn how to draw a floor plan and elevations, then rearrange an existing space and plan a new layout for a renovation project started in this assignment.
• Extend this project in subsequent assignments and develop a lighting plan, color scheme and finishes.
• Build your first professional portfolio as you complete these exercises.
Space Planning and Proportion
The Next Step in Space Planning
Styling an Existing Room
Developing a Basic Floor Plan
Reading the Plan
Steps on Developing the Floor Plan
Developing a Basic Elevation
This module will enable you to discover the sources and properties of light, types of lighting and how the orientation of a space affects natural lighting.
• Learn how light affects the selection of colors on different surfaces, finishes and fabrics.
• Understand how to communicate your ideas clearly to electricians, builders and suppliers by specifying the correct products suitable for the intended purpose.
• Turn your creative vision into reality by using natural and artificial lighting to create a stunning effect in your interior projects.
• Incorporate these ideas into your plan as you continue with the renovation project that started in Module 4.
Light and How We See
Color Properties of Light
Evaluating Natural Light Levels
Sources of Artificial Light
Selecting the Right Light Fitting
Types of Light Fittings
Types of Artificial Light
Light in Relation to Other Materials
Lighting the Home
Exterior Light Fittings
Electrical, Lighting and Home Technology
The Smart House
Improving Energy Efficiency
Communicating With Your Contractor
Lighting Terms and Definitions
This module will introduce you to the power and psychology of color and how it can be used as a pivotal design tool in your projects.
• Learn about the properties of color and understand how it can change the mood of a space, alter perceptions and create the intended style. Discover the effect of natural and artificial light on color and surface textures.
• Use the color wheel as inspiration and guidance to develop harmonious schemes and gain confidence to use it effectively. Discover that there are no bad colors, only bad combinations.
• Experience the power of using color in all aspects of your design projects to trigger different responses; vibrant and uplifting or muted or restful.
• Familiarize yourself with paint systems, products and specification.
• Put together multiple color schemes to accompany the renovation project from Module 4.
How Design Elements Interrelate
Guidelines for Using Color
Color and Light
Color and Pigment
Properties of Color
Understanding the Color Wheel
The Space Factor
Color and Perception
Planning a Color Scheme
Communicating About Color
Sampling the Colors
You will learn how to apply the concepts of three-dimensional design to the reality of a finished space.
• Discover the importance of ensuring quality finishes on the floor, walls and ceiling to create a striking and functional backdrop for furnishings and window treatments.
• Gain the product knowledge required to select and specify cost-effective finishes suitable for the intended end use to create a professional and enduring interior space.
• Find out how to plan and project-manage the sequence of floor, wall and ceiling finishes required at different stages of a project.
• Create finish schedules for each room from the renovation project that began at Module 4.
Wainscoting and Boiserie
Tongue and Groove
Special Finishes, Murals and Wall Art
Architraves, Doors, Window Frames, Cornices, and Baseboards
Kitchen and Bathroom Finishes
A Final Word on Acoustics
Specifications for a Design Project
Decorative Textiles and Fabrics
This informative module introduces you to the history, beauty and luxury of decorative textiles and fabrics.
You will be shown how to appreciate the importance of including items with luxurious and aesthetic appeal as essential components in your design, regardless of the available budget.
• Discover the endless possibilities for using fabrics with style and flair to create eye-catching interior spaces. Gain confidence to apply the elements of design and transform spaces by using textiles, fabrics and other decorative accessories.
• Learn about the technical properties of fabrics and their suitability for different end uses. Understand the functional and aesthetic properties required for bed linen, rugs and decorative textiles.
Wall and Screen Coverings
A Brief History of Textiles
Rugs and Blankets
Furniture, Art and Accessories
The pinnacle of great design is working with beautiful objects, furniture and art. With reference to Module 2 and the history of Interior Design, you will learn how furniture styles have been developed over the years for specific uses and applications.
• Apply your knowledge of design elements to the reality of placing beautiful objects into perfectly planned and well thought out spaces.
• Experience the sense of achievement when your space planning and elevations come to life.
• Showcase your creative potential with co-ordinated, harmonious interiors.
• Learn how to visually present ideas to your client by creating mood boards.
Furniture, Art and Accessories
The Technical Side of Upholstered Furniture
Cabinetry and Case Goods
Specifying a New Piece
How to Visually Present Ideas to Your Client
Working With Clients
This module teaches you the work practices of professional designers. You will be shown the vital procedures and thought processes that bring a design to completion in the real world.
• Learn how to support your creative knowledge with the practical application that ensures success from the start of a project through to completion.
• Ensure that your proposals and management skills will bring work in on schedule and budget for any design project, whether for yourself or for a client.
• Gain confidence to work professionally in the design industry.
Reasons for Using an Interior Designer
Building Relationships with Clients
Working as an Interior Designer
Your First Meeting
Questions to Ask and Observations to Make
The Second Meeting
Show and Tell
Letter of Acceptance
Scope of Work
Scheduling the Trades
Talking About Money
Your Fee Structure
In this module you will be taught how to document your ideas and designs for clients, contractors and your own reference.
• Learn how to easily create a three-dimensional drawing from floor plans to help visualize the space and make more informed design choices.
• Find out how these drawings can help you win business and then manage the design process.
• Support your documentation with a clear set of drawings to ensure your ideas are interpreted correctly.
• Experience the pleasure of seeing your design concepts spring to life as projects are completed.
Taking the Brief
Drawing: It’s Relationship to Your Work
Strategic Planning and the Scope of Works
Developing a Concept
The Floor Plan
Reflected Ceiling Plan
Final Design Development
Setting up an Interior Design Business
If you are considering making design your career, this may be the decisive chapter that is the stepping stone to your future success.
• See yourself in the context of the design industry.
• Take professional advice from outstanding business consultants who work with creative, respected and successful Interior Designers.
• Benefit from this valuable information regarding business development, business practice and market positioning.
• Learn how to put together a professional portfolio and receive an insight on setting up your own website and social media networks.
Setting Up an Office
Setting Up Your Business
Tax and Money Matters
Venus V. V. Berríos Pagán
1 day ago
Pursue your dreams today!!
Hello everyone, My name is Venus Berríos. I am a former celebrity hairdresser and makeup artist with around 10 years...
4 days ago
Studying online has been a great…experience!
Studying online has been a great experience I definitely recommend the Interior Design Institute. The modules are perfect! Everything you...
6 days ago
What would the room look like with my paintings?
I’m an artist that paints large scale pieces. I always could imagine my paintings in rooms, but wondered “what would...
7 days ago
Great program! The modules are very interesting and the projects are challenging. I have learned so much and can't wait...
Kathy L Jones
12 days ago
Looking forward to designing with these new skills!
I am half-way through this course and have learned so much. Looking forward to designing with these new skills.
14 days ago
Great program! Interesting and challenging. Cannot believe how much I learned in less than a year. Thanks for the opportunity!
20 days ago
Great program ! Interesting and challenging love the modules . I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in...
31 days ago
All smiles here
I loved it and can't wait to do another course
59 days ago
I loved the challenge
I loved the challenge, I loved the courses. I learned a lot and appreciated all the support. If I knew...
60 days ago
I admit I was skeptical about an online…
I admit I was skeptical about an online interior design course being of value but was I wrong. The course...
69 days ago
My experience with the IDI Team was…
My experience with the IDI Team was awesome and i would recommend it to anyone without a doubt. 5-stars
77 days ago
This course is more flexibility with kids and all conviene
79 days ago
Even busy people can get degrees
I have already recommended this school to my coworkers. In Utah we don’t need degrees to be interior designers, but...
Elizabeth Ellen Vaerini
86 days ago
My experience with IID was wonderful
My experience with The Interior Design Institute was wonderful. The modules were easy to read and the assignments were challenging...
86 days ago
This was an amazing experience
This was an amazing experience! The course was so well structured and easy to go through and I learned so...