Visual Language of Interior Design
The first module is an introduction to the creative and exciting world of interior design.
You will be introduced to the elements and principles of design that are used to create harmonious and balanced interiors.
• Learn how to observe, evaluate and form opinions of different design styles by analyzing interior spaces.
• Develop your ‘designer’s eye’ and understand how to apply the knowledge and create inspirational designs for home and work environments.
Welcome To IDI!
How To Use Our Course
What Do I Need?
Software And Devices
What Is Interior Design?
Quotes We Love
Philosophy Of Interior Design
The Visual Language Of Design
Understanding Design Theory
Elements Of Interior Design
Principles Of Design
Proportion And Scale
History of Style, Decoration and Architecture
This comprehensive module takes you on a fascinating journey, beginning with the origins of decorative finishes seen in cave paintings and ancient dwellings and leads you through the history of design and architecture to the present day.
Full of visual images and information, Module 2 will convey the meanings and messages behind the styles and decorative images you encounter.
• Learn to recognise architectural and decorative details influenced by ancient Greek, Roman and Egyptian architecture, Neo-Classicism and more recent design styles.
• Incorporate these ideas into your designs, adding originality and creativity to your work.
• Gain an appreciation of art and design history and how it will continue to be an influence both in the present and the future.
Introduction to History of Style, Decoration and ArchitectureWhat is Design History? Why Learn Design History? About this Design History Classical Ancient Greece (1000–100 BC) Ancient Rome (500 BC–500 AD) Byzantine (500–1500) Moorish (700–1500) Romanesque (800–1200) Gothic (1150–1400) Renaissance (1400–1600) Baroque (1590–1725) Rococo (1715–90) Neoclassical (1714–1850) Palladianism – Britain (1715–1800) Georgian / Colonial – Outside Of Britain (1714–1830) Federal – USA (1780–1830) Greek Revival – Britain (1790–1850), USA (1830–60) Furniture Designers Empire – France (1799–15) Industrial Revolution (1760s–1850s) Victorian (1837–1901) Gothic Revival Italianate Queen Anne Victorian Interiors and Furniture Arts and Crafts Movement (1870–1910) Art Nouveau (1880s–1914) Art Deco French Art Deco (1920–39) American Art Deco (1925–39) Art Deco Around the World Modernism (1917–33) De Stijl (1917–31) Bauhaus (1919–33) Le Corbusier The International Style (1930s–70s) Post-World War II / Mid-Century Modern (1940s–60s) Pop (1960s–70s) Postmodernism (1970s–90s) Minimalism (1990s to Today) Contemporary Sustainable Architecture and Design Sustainability in Design History
In this module, you will learn how to make strategic and conceptual decisions for your design projects based on the desired function, style and mood of the space.
• Explore some of the most common interior decorating styles, including traditional, country, eclectic and contemporary.
• Develop your knowledge of different structures, common problems and solutions so that you can communicate clearly with clients, suppliers and tradespeople.
• Evaluate a site and assess existing structures in order to create a master plan and implement your ideas.
• Discover how to keep informed of trends and how to look for trend inspiration.
• Learn how to visually present ideas to your client by creating a mood board.
Speaking The Language Fluently
Types Of Interior Design Styles
Arts And Crafts
Considering The Site
Building An Aesthetic Plan
How To Visually Present Ideas To Your Client
Now you will discover how to apply the design elements to your spatial planning and design concepts, considering different furniture layouts to suit the intended function of the space.
• Learn how to draw a floor plan, rearrange an existing space and plan a new layout for a renovation project.
• Study the different architectural elements that will be included in your floor plan, such as doors, windows, fireplaces and lighting fixtures.
• Become familiar with the functionality of different rooms and understand the role that furniture plays in the design process.
• Extend this project in subsequent assignments and develop a lighting plan, color scheme and finishes.
• Build your first professional portfolio as you complete these exercises.
Space Planning And Proportion
The Next Step In Space Planning
Styling An Existing Room
Residential Building Design
Parts Of A Residential Building
What Is A Floor Plan?
Parts Of The Floor Plan
This module will enable you to discover the sources and properties of light, types of lighting and how the orientation of a space affects natural lighting.
• Learn how light affects the selection of colors on different surfaces, finishes and fabrics.
• Understand how to communicate your ideas clearly to electricians, builders and suppliers by specifying the correct products suitable for the intended purpose.
• Learn the various types of light bulbs available to interior designers and how to select the right one for a client’s room.
• Turn your creative vision into reality by using natural and artificial lighting to create a stunning effect in your interior design projects.
• Incorporate these ideas into your plan as you continue with the renovation project that started in Module 4.
Light And How We See
Color Properties Of Light
Evaluating Natural Light Levels
Sources Of Artificial Light
Types Of Light Fittings
How Light Is Measured
Designing With Light
Types Of Artificial Light
Lighting The Home
The Front Door
Entrance And Hallway
Exterior Light Fittings
Electrical, Lighting And Home Technology
The Smart House
Communicating With Your Builder
Lighting And Electrical Plans
Symbols Used To Create A Reflected Ceiling Plan
This module will introduce you to the power and psychology of color and how it can be used as a pivotal design tool in your projects.
• Learn about the properties of color and understand how it can change the mood of a space, alter perceptions and create the intended style. Discover the effect of natural and artificial light on color and surface textures.
• Use the color wheel as inspiration and guidance to develop harmonious schemes and gain the confidence to use it effectively. Discover that there are no bad colors, only bad combinations.
• Experience the power of using color in all aspects of your design projects to trigger different responses, such as vibrant and uplifting or muted and restful.
• Familiarize yourself with paint systems, products and specifications.
• Put together multiple color schemes to accompany the renovation project from Module 4.
How Design Elements Interrelate
Guidelines For Using Color
Color And Light
Color Psychology And Symbolism
The Emotional Effect Of Colors
Color Mixing Systems
The Human Eye
Additive Color Mixing
Subtractive Color Mixing
The Color Wheel
Properties Of Color
Color Harmony Groups
Creating Successful Color Schemes
Color And Perception
Planning A Color Scheme
Communicating About Color
How To Specify Color Accurately
Sampling The Colors
Types Of Paint
Specialty Paint Finishes
Colors On Computers
Interior Paint Color Viewers And Visualizers
You will learn how to apply the concepts of three-dimensional design to the reality of a finished space.
• Discover the importance of ensuring quality finishes on the floor, walls and ceiling to create a striking and functional backdrop for furnishings and window treatments.
• Gain the product knowledge required to select and specify cost-effective finishes suitable for the intended end use to create a professional and enduring interior space.
• Find out how to plan and project manage the sequence of floor, wall and ceiling finishes required at different stages of a project.
• Create finish schedules for each room from the renovation project that began in Module 4.
Hard Flooring Surfaces
Natural Stone Products
Soft Flooring Surfaces
Windows And Glass
Kitchen, Bathroom And Laundry Finishes
Natural Stone Options
Splashbacks And Walls
Environmentally Sustainable Design
Choosing Sustainable Materials
Enhance Indoor Environmental Quality
Tips For Creating A Successful Design
Specifications For A Design Project
Decorative Textiles and Fabrics
This informative module introduces you to the history, beauty and luxury of decorative textiles and fabrics.
You will be shown how to appreciate the importance of including items with luxurious and aesthetic appeal as essential components in your design, regardless of the available budget.
• Discover the endless possibilities for using fabrics with style and flair to create eye-catching interior spaces. Gain the confidence needed to apply the elements of design and transform spaces by using textiles, fabrics and other decorative accessories.
• Learn about the technical properties of fabrics and their suitability for different end uses. Understand the functional and aesthetic properties required for bed linen, rugs and decorative textiles.
• Create fabric selections for each room from the renovation project that began in Module 4.
A Brief History Of Textiles
Patterns And Prints
A Guide To Mixing Patterns
Choosing Fabrics For Interior Design
Eco-Friendly And Organic Fabrics
Furniture, Art and Accessories
The pinnacle of great design is working with beautiful objects, furniture and art. With reference to Module 2 and the history of interior design, you will learn how furniture styles have been developed over the years for specific uses and applications.
• Apply your knowledge of design elements to the reality of placing beautiful objects into perfectly planned and well thought out spaces.
• Experience the sense of achievement when your space planning and elevations come to life.
• Showcase your creative potential with coordinated, harmonious interiors.
• Create the complete decor scheme for each room from the renovation project in Module 4.
History, Period & Contemporary Pieces
The Technical Side Of Upholstered Furniture
Applying The Elements & Principles Of Design
Specifying A New Piece
Unique Rug Styles
Working With Clients
This module teaches you the work practices of professional designers. You will be shown the vital procedures and thought processes that bring a design to completion in the real world.
• Learn how to support your creative knowledge with the practical application that ensures success from the start of a project through to completion.
• Ensure that your proposals and management skills will bring work in on schedule and budget for any design project, whether for yourself or for a client.
• Gain the confidence needed to work professionally in the design industry.
The Home Is Where The Heart Is
Reasons For Using An Interior Designer
Building Relationships With Clients
How To Approach A Design Project
Your First Meeting
Questions To Ask
Setting Project Priority
Talking About Money
Your Second Meeting
Visual Design Tools
Priorities For The Second Meeting
Source And Specification
Schedule Of Work
Order Of Tasks
Your Fee Structure
Paperwork For The Interior Designer
Programs To Help With Your Paperwork
Safety On A Construction Site
In this module, you will be taught how to document your ideas and designs for clients, contractors and your own reference.
• Learn how to easily create a three-dimensional drawing from floor plans to help visualise the space and make more informed design choices.
• Find out how these drawings can help you win business and then manage the design process.
• Support your documentation with a clear set of drawings to ensure your ideas are interpreted correctly.
• Experience the pleasure of seeing your design concepts spring to life as projects are completed.
• Get creative and prepare a materials board with real samples for a kitchen fit out.
Things To Consider
The Design Brief
Drawing: Its Relationship To Your Work
Developing A Concept
Drawing Kitchen Elevations
The Illusion Of 3D
Types Of Perspective Drawings
How To Draw A One Point Perspective Plan
Setting Up an Interior Design Business
If you are considering making design your career, this may be the decisive chapter that is the stepping stone to your future success.
• See yourself in the context of the design industry.
• Take professional advice from outstanding business consultants who work with creative, respected and successful interior designers.
• Benefit from this valuable information regarding business development, business practice and market positioning.
• Learn how to put together a professional portfolio and receive an insight on setting up your own website and social media networks.
Setting Up An Office
Hiring Office Space
Designing Your Office
Drawing Your Plan
Ergonomic Check List For Your Office
Sit & Stand Desk Options
Setting Up Your Business
Business Name And Logo
Word Of Mouth
Getting The Tone Right
Interior Design Career Paths
What You Need When Applying For Work
How To Make A Portfolio
Finding Work In The Field
May 17, 2022
I’m so happy I found Interior Design Institute!
I absolutely love how I can work on however much I want to whenever I want to, and at my...
Luis Alejandro Medina Lopez
May 4, 2022
I really like your educational system
I really like your educational system, it is very practical and easy to understand, besides you have the help of...
Apr 29, 2022
5 stars if you are an independent…
5 stars if you are an independent learner. Module 4 is TOUGH, I can see some people throwing in the...
Apr 29, 2022
Excellent Online Interior Design School
IDI has been an excellent source for learning more details of interior design. I would recommend the school to others....
Rosa M Perera
Apr 25, 2022
After having looked for many options I…
After having looked for many options I could not be happier to have chosen Interior Design Institute to relaunch my...
Apr 8, 2022
It’s very challenging and so interesting at the some time!
Mar 17, 2022
Just wonderful !
Since I started I have been having an extraordinary experience, it covers many details, it opens my mind and my...
Mar 4, 2022
This course is fastidiously comprehensive in its presentation of the interior design discipline. I have been able to acquire the...
Feb 24, 2022
This course is truly immersive and…
This course is truly immersive and having the support of a tutor has been such a help!
Feb 20, 2022
Great course! My tutor is very responsive and supportive. The course content is interesting and very practical assignments. Also challenging...
Feb 16, 2022
Absolutely loooove this course <3
Absolutely loooove this course <3
Feb 13, 2022
Love how it is self paced and has a…
Love how it is self paced and has a strong community
Feb 8, 2022
Great online course
Great online course
Jan 30, 2022
Wonderful program! Very well-thought-out modules. Easy and fast communication and great tutors. So glad that I chose IDI. I recommend...
Jan 24, 2022
Great moduls where I feel that I learn…
Great moduls where I feel that I learn a lot in a easy way. Great descriptions and ways to work...